Why Switch ?
I use disposable pads. These are made by multi-national companies who sell trusted brands.
However there are facts that I didn’t know. I am finding out about them now, and they are most inconvenient.
- Every disposable pad has the equivalent of 4 plastic bags in it. I never could have imagined that there was so much plastic in just one pad.
- Over my entire menstruating lifetime, I will use and discard 10,000-15,000 pads or the equivalent of 40,000-60,000 plastic bags.
- This plastic will continue to contaminate the environment for hundreds of years to come. If I burn the used pads (in an incinerator or in the open), that will release harmful furans and dioxins.
- Dioxins are not just released when pads are burnt, they are also present in trace amounts on all pads, as a result of the bleaching process the pads go through.
- Dioxins are endocrine disruptors, and can harm me in many different ways.
- The skin in the vaginal area is highly permeable and anything that is in constant touch with the skin there will end up in my bloodstream.
- If I continue using disposable pads, I will spend approximately ₹ 2,000 rupees every year, and perhaps close to ₹ 75,000 over my lifetime on a product that is not good for my health, neither good for our planet.